Although leather is a durable material, it dries out over time, especially when it is not taken care of regularly. The leather shoes may look cracked or have a rough surface, leaving them with a monotonous appearance. The treatment of leather shoes not only requires conditioning, but also a good cleaning to remove the embedded dirt. After proper cleaning and conditioning, leather shoes can look like new again.
You will need:
Liquid detergent, Cloth, Bitumen, Microfiber cloths, And leather conditioner spray
Steps to follow:
1. First of all, brush your leather boots with a soft brush, without grating them. It is important that if you stained your shoes with mud, clean it as soon as possible, because the time will end up damaging the leather fabric.
2. When you see your boots, you will know if the leather is treated or untreated. If it is treated or "finished" it will be less porous, but if it is not treated, it will be more susceptible to water stains.
3. If your boots are finished, buy an enamel for boots and apply it to your shoes with a cloth.
4. If the leather of your boots is not finished, the oil is ideal for polishing, rubbing it with a piece of cloth. The wax horse also ideal, and even the neutral cream for the body.
When you have thrown either of the two products - enamel or oil - remove the excess with a dry cloth, making sure you have covered all the seams and closures.
5. Remove shoe laces , if any, and wash them separately by hand with a teaspoon of liquid detergent. Rinse the cords completely and let them air dry.
6. Cleans dust and dirt from the outside and inside of leather shoes with a cloth. Place a spoonful of bitumen on a clean microfiber cloth.
7. Keep the inside of the shoe with one hand and rub with the bitumen skin area, starting at the back of the shoe. Make small circular movements, completely covering the leather shoes . Repeat with the other shoe.
8. Let the bitumen dry for two or three hours. Wipe away any excess with a clean microfiber cloth.
9. Spray the shoes thoroughly with a leather conditioner, or condition them with one or two tablespoons of oil in a microfiber cloth wiping along the shoes.
10. Allow the conditioner to penetrate the skin for 10 minutes. Remove any excess conditioner with a clean cloth.
Prevent Your Shoes From future damage
To prevent future damage to your boots, before each season you must perform this treatment. Spray your boots dry and clean with a waterproof spray that will help prevent stains. A good idea is to align all your boots and treat them at the same time.
Storage Your Shoes In a Safe Place
Every time you want to leave your boots drying, either after a wash or because the rain has wet them, leave them in a place with a high temperature, but NOT in a place that is in very direct contact (as in a radiator) . If the temperature is too strong it can cause the leather to break. Do not store your boots in plastic bags, since leather needs to breathe, and lack of air can cause it to dry. And always before leaving your boots for next winter, make sure you clean them beforehand.
With these instructions you will be able to enjoy leather shoes that will look new again.