You love your precious kitty and enjoy it when he cuddles next to you on the sofa in the evening but lately, you have been upset with him, why is that? He has been scratching your leather seats. Oh! Oh! Yeah, I know it’s not good but what about your friend’s kids who poured orange juice on the same leather sofa and the stain won’t come out, sad, right? The good news is that there is something you can do to solve both problems and it’s all got to do with buying the best leather repair kit.
Although leather is usually durable and long-lasting, it still has its fair share of damages and it’s essential to be equipped at all times. Known to contain various items such as a leather patch, mixing bottle, repair compound among others, the leather repair kit should always be near you. So, let’s have a look at the top 10 repair kits worth buying.
Reviews of the 10 Best Leather Repair kits
01. Fortivo Multi-Purpose Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit
We love to have items that are multi-purposed in our lives and Fortivo Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit is one of them. Great at repairing leather and vinyl seats such as couch and car seats, it is also possible to use on jackets, belt, shoes, and even purses. The kit contains a leather patch, mixing bottle, spatula, basic fabric pieces, and 7 non-toxic intermixable colors that dry fast and instructions.
Designed by professionals, the instructions explain how to use mix the colors using the exact portion to get the perfect match of color. The colors are usually two black, two white, two brown, red, green, blue, and yellow. Being popular with leathercraft professionals, the kit does wonders when it comes to repairing scratches, holes, and even stains.
Most noteworthy, the instructions come with a five easy step application process as well as a link to a video that demonstrates into details how to repair leather. Just remember, when using the repair kit, you will need a leather wax, graining paper, and rubbing alcohol.
- Non-toxic solution
- Comes with instructions
- Efficient to create a strong, permanent bond
- It’s versatile
- It has no graining paper, wax and rubbing alcohol
- Product is of very small amounts
02. Leather Max Complete Leather Repair Kit with Three Color Shades
BlendltOn Leather Max Complete Leather Repair Kit is another incredible repair kit to have at home. No doubt one of the best repairing kits on the market, this easy to use kit has three color shades which are perfect for restoring color in stained or faded areas. The best part of the colors is that they are waterproof which ensures once applied to your leather sofa; it won’t rub off your clothes.
So, what types of colors come with this particular kit? Some of the three color shades are Beige Mix, Bold Blacks, Earth Brown, and Double Dark Browns. In addition, you will find Bold Brown, White Mix as well as Beach Mix which has sand, bone, and cream bottles.
Other than that, the colors are non-toxic which makes them not only suitable to humans but also eco-friendly. Furthermore, the kit comes with detailed instructions as well as links to YouTube videos explaining how to restore and recolor your leather sofa. Note that, other leather items you can use with the leather max are chairs, handbags, purses, and jackets.
- Very easy to use
- Works on various leather items
- Once you are done applying the colors it leaves a smooth finish
- Available in numerous three-shade colors
- Great at dyeing faded and stained areas
- Only suitable to clean with water as leather cleaners rub it off easily
- The colors must be applied exactly as stated in the instructions otherwise they smear.
03. Chamberlain’s Leather Milk Restoration Kit
Do you have an antique leather armchair that has seen better days but you aren’t ready to let it go? Don’t worry; Chamberlain’s Leather Milk Kit will restore the armchair to its former glory. Wrapped in a classy box, you will find several items inside it such as microfiber cloths, horsehair brush, sponges, staves, healing balm, and applicator pads.
The horsehair brush is meant to gently remove any dirt trapped in your leather’s stitching, grain, and other crevices. On the other hand, the staves are good at reaching inside your handbag or briefcase and dealing with any unreachable dust.
Furthermore, the box comes with four leather milk’s incredible formulas. The formulas include leather care liniment, water protectant, healing balm, and straight cleaner. To start with the leather care liniment is the ideal leather conditioner for unfinished leather.
As for the water protectant it is specifically designed for any leather that is mostly exposed to harsh weather conditions such as leather bags, shoes, and boots
- It’s easy to use
- Very affordable
- Cares and restores leather
- Has four treatments and five application tools
- Classy and beautifully packed box
- The kit is not designed to treat Nubuck leather, Suede or any other soft leathers
04. Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit- By LeatherLex
Do any of your leather items have any tears, burns, cuts, or cracks? Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit will take care of your leather furniture, clothing, footwear as well as car seats. Designed with a few easy steps, the kit ensures you repair your leather item without any fuss. For starters, the kit has a variety of colors and grain papers that match the leather material you are repairing.
The colors usually suited for this kind of repair kit are black, white, gray, brown, cream, and beige. What’s more, no heat is required when using this type of repair kit. One of the best leather repair kits for peeling sofa, the variety of colors plus the color matching guide will help you blend the correct color to your sofa.
Remember that, the kit also comes with clear instructions to guide you on the steps to follow when repairing your leather items. Moreover, there is also a video available in the LeatherLex Amazon site explaining how to use this repair kit. Note that, this will not only save you money but also enable to try something new in your spare time.
- The kit offers a variety of colors
- Has written and video guidelines
- There is no heat required
- Perfect for small jobs
- It requires patience to get the desired results
05. Coconix Vinyl and Leather Repair Kit With Super Easy Instructions
Have you been searching for a repair kit that works on all types of leather? Coconix has you covered. Their Repair Kit is great at repairing old genuine leather, synthetic, premium upholstery among others. This means you can use it on your shoes, purse, bag, couch, office leather chair, and many more. So what are you repairing? It could be a scratch, crack, tear, burn or even a rip from any of your leather items.
Weighing 8.8 ounces the Coconix leather and vinyl repair kit consisting of an applicator, mixing cup, and 10 essential tint compounds which are easily mixed to produce the best results. The tint compounds are as follows, white, red, blue, tan, black, cream, walnut, chocolate, yellow, and Burgundy.
Therefore, you should know that no heat tools, paint, glue tape, or dye are needed. That’s why you should not doubt that Coconix has made the repair kit with the best properties for your home and office use. Keep this in mind; the instructions are very clear and easy to understand when it comes to mixing the colors.
- Comes with easy instructions
- The idea for all kinds of goatskin materials
- Efficiently deal with tears, cuts, holes and small burns
- Pocket friendly
- Mixing the tints is time-consuming
- Some people say the color containers are smaller than expected
06. MastaPlasta Self-Adhesive Premium Leather Repair Patch-8 x 4 Inches
Ever thought a simple patch would solve any leather, suede, or vinyl damage you may have? MastaPlasta leather repair patch has proven it’s possible over and over again. Founded in 2009 by two designers known as Donna and Stephen, The repair patch has fought for recognition for years that it became one of the best leather repair kit 2017.
Known for its different patch sizes, the 8 x 4 inch is a large rectangular patch ideal for covering tears, holes, stains or burns. This is mostly in sofas, car interiors, jackets, handbags, chairs, and much more. What’s interesting is that you don’t need to go through a difficult process to get the best results. All is required of you is to just peel off the patch and stick it on the damaged part.
That’s not all though, the patches come in different colors such as dark brown, green, red, gray, tan, beige, ivory, black, and navy. Note that, the beauty of the patches is that it does not have to match the color of the damaged item. It just appears like embossed leather.
- Breathable and soft to the touch
- It is stain and mold resistant
- Not affected by harsh weather especially hot sun
- Handles strong leather cleaning products
- Easy to apply as it takes only 25 seconds
- Not suitable for machine wash
- Doesn’t last long
07. 3M Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit
Are your car’s seats or upholstery torn, burned, or cut? Don’t worry much, 3M Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit will sort out that damage in no time. Great at improving the appearance of damaged leather and vinyl, the kit includes several tools and directions. The tools are mostly grain papers, backing fabric, mixing cups, an application tool, a heat transfer tool, a variety of colors, and a color matching guide among others.
So, what are these intermixable colors found in the repair kit? Red is one of them then there is black, green, yellow, blue, brown and finally white. When we look at the grain papers, the patterns also differ from coarse to smooth ones.
One of the most inexpensive ways to repair a leather car seat, you won’t go wrong with this repair kit as stops the damage getting any further. Note that, the kit also repairs shallow cigarette burns ad also deep cuts, all you need is to use is the piece of vinyl included in the kit for practice before making the actual repair.
- Easy to use
- The kithas a variety of tools
- Directions given are easy to follow
- The color mixing guide makes it simple to get the desired color
- Requires you to heat the compound
- For some people, the grain paper is too small to use
08. Strongman Tools Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit
One of the budget repair kits on the market, Strongman Tools is popular among professional leather craftsmen as well as homeowners who want to repair and restore their leather items. But wait minute, leather items aren’t the only ones that benefit from this repair kit; you can use it on Vinyl, Bonded leather, fabric, PU leather, and more materials.
Offering 28 different pieces of leather repair paint and other accessories, you get from the kit seven different paints, backing fabrics as well as leather adhesive. Not only that, but there is also a PU leather sample for practice, a couple of grain papers, and much more.
Truly having one of the best leather restoration products, the repairing and restoring process is very simple and easy since there is no heat required. The paint colors are known to dry naturally and the fabric process doesn’t take long to patch up.
- The kit is easy to use due to the clear instructions
- It is versatile
- Really improves the look of the leather items
- It’s budget-friendly
- The repairing process is quick and easy
- The dried paints and adhesive are a bit difficult to match as compared to wet ones.
- The glue dries out quickly which means you need to have backing fabric near you.
09. Leather Repair Doctor Complete DIY Kit
If you are longing to see your leather goods look brand new again, choose Leather Repair Doctor Complete DIY Kit. Containing premium bonding adhesive and high-quality leather dye, the colors jars need no mixing making it suitable for both leather and vinyl surfaces. On top of this, the kit is made with non-toxic components and is scentless. Therefore, it easy to use on your furniture, car seats, clothing, purses, luggage, boots and anything else made with leather or vinyl. Made from a unique mixture, the adhesive becomes more durable while still staying flexible and elastic.
What’s more, the adhesive can withstand extreme hot and cold conditions without tearing, cracking, or losing any ability to stay together. Therefore, this enables your leather to always look new. If you feel this might too much to comprehend, then don’t worry, the kit comes with great instructions as well as full video demonstration to help you. Besides the kit also saves you time since you don’t have to mix anything.
- Non-toxic and scentless
- Works within large temperatures and over a large range of materials
- The colors dry quickly
- Comes with a color guide and other instructions
- The adhesive may peel off if not applied correctly
10. Liquid Leather Touch Up Recolor Kit
Are you ready to make your leather look amazing again? Look no further than the liquid leather touch up recolor kit. Suitable for any leather item, your Vegan leather shoes, jackets, bags, or saddles will be taken care of in minutes. However, that’s not all though, if your truck or motorcycle seats are made from leather or vinyl and have some discoloration on them, the recoloring kit will do just that.
The kit contains an applicator, mixing cup, spatula, and seven colors such as red, blue, white, black, green, yellow, and brown as well as for instructions. When it comes to the instructions they are very simple and easy to follow.
For instance, you are required to first, prepare your leather item by cleaning gently the part that needs a retouch with a leather cleaner and wait for it to dry. Then, mix the colors until you get the desired results. Afterward, apply the color in thin layers allowing each to dry until you become satisfied with the final results. Finally, wait for it to dry.
- Instructions are simple and easy to follow
- Suitable for all types of leather
- The kit contains several colors
- Easy to use
- Affordable price
- The color match takes time and patience
- Only works well on smooth flat surfaces
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Leather Repair Kit
Every leather repair kit is great in its own way but not all of them serve the same purpose as well as deliver the same results. With that in mind, it’s essential you know which is the best leather repair kit to purchase? So, let’s check the below factors that will guide you on which repair kit is best for you.
Components Found in the Kit
The first thing you should consider before buying a repair kit is what it contains. That’s because the kits come with different items. For instance, some repair kits come packed with colors, mixing bottles or cups, backing fabric, a leather patch among other items. On the other hand, other kits only have colors, color matching charts, and mixing cups since they are meant for recoloring purposes.
Most kits have several colors meant to deal with any stain issues on your leather items. However, make sure before you purchase any kit, you find the one with the colors you need. This, in the end, will help not only help you get the most out of the kit but also save you money.
When we talk about versatility here we are referring to not only different leather products but also if the repair kit can repair two or more leather damages. For example, is the kit able to repair scratches, cuts, burns, or even cover up stains off your leather items? So, what are these items? Apart from the leather couch and car seats, you should also look at, jackets, purses, caps, handbags, and many more. The reason behind all this is because you never know which leather item needs to be repaired.
Last but not least, no matter how great the repair kit is if the instructions are not clear or detailed enough, then you won’t be able to use it to the best capacity. Therefore, always make sure the kit has step by step instructions to ensure you follow the correct guidelines.
Leather Repair Kits FAQs
Q: Can Leather be Repaired?
Ans: Definitely, leather can be repaired, if you are dealing with small scuffs and nicks all you need is leather glue. Moreover, if the damage is more serious, a repair kit will have to do since it has different pieces to help you deal with your leather item more precisely.
Q: How Do You Repair Damaged Leather?
Ans: It is very easy to repair damaged leather. To start with if your leather sofa has a scratch or small tear, you can use olive oil to repair the damaged sofa. Just apply the oil to the scratched or torn part using a cotton ball and leave it for an hour. After it has dried off, check if the damaged part is okay and if you aren’t satisfied, apply the oil again. Note that, if you don’t have olive oil at home you can use baby oil instead.
Q: Can Worn Leather be Restored?
Ans: Yes, it is possible to restore worn leather. First of all, you can use a leather recoloring balm to restore color to a faded leather item. However, you should know the recoloring balm will only restore the color but if any part of the leather is cracked, it won’t fix it.
Q: How Do You Rejuvenate Old Leather?
Ans: There are several ways to rejuvenate old leather and it all depends on which leather item you are dealing with. For example, if you are dealing with an old sofa,
- First, wipe the entire sofa with a soft brush
- Secondly, apply liquid saddle soap on the sofa and clean in a circular motion until the foam disappears.
- Wipe the sofa with a dry cloth and give it some minutes to dry then apply leather cream to the sofa.
- Next, pour leather stain on a bowl and apply it on the sofa using a pad also in a circular motion.
- Apply leather sealant by either spraying or rubbing with a cloth and give it 24 hours to dry. For the finishing touch, apply a leather conditioner using a cloth.
Q: How Do You Fix a Rip in a Leather Car Seat?
- Purchase a repair kit that has the same colors as your leather car seats
- Clean the leather car seat using a bar of mild soap and damp and give it some time to dry off completely.
- Trim any threads hanging on the edges around the tear and glue a backing cloth into the hole and then slide it under the rip. Allow the glue to dry completely.
- Mix the heat-set colored filler from the repair kit and apply just enough color to fill the rip, then cover it with the textured mat and apply heat.
- Finally, place the heating tool to the face of a hot clothes iron and press the hot tool onto the textured mat for some minutes. Let it cool and remove the mat.
Q: How Do You Fix a Rip in a Leather Couch?
- Wipe the surrounding area of the ripped couch with leather cleaner
- Use small scissors to trim away the loose fibers as well as push the visible material inside the sofa.
- Mix the right ratio of color from the repair kit using the color chart that comes with the kit.
- Plug your iron near the sofa and turn it on low heat. Pick up a small amount of the color mixture with a spatula and lay it over the ripped part of the couch. Continue adding thin layers until the rip isn’t visible anymore.
- Place a leather grain paper on the invisible rip and press the metal heat tool from the repair kit onto the hot plate side of the iron. Warm it up and then rub it over the grain paper to make a leather texture over the ripped spot. Give the grain paper some time to cool off and then peel it away.
How to Repair Vinyl and Leather | Permatex Demo YouTube Video
Did you ever think owning a leather repair kit would be that simple, well if not then you were wrong? As you can see from the above list of repair kits, you can find different repair kits that are pocket-friendly and will ensure you take care of your torn or scratched leather. In addition, in the FAQ section, I hope you were able to learn a thing or two on how to repair some leather items. Therefore, remember this, by having the best leather repair kit by your side, you won’t have to worry about any scratches, holes, or even stains on your leather seats, or clothing. Isn’t that great?